Thursday 4 February 2016

Batten Down the Hatches

Good Morning!


This is a fabulous map which is hanging up in the studio. It reminds me of the ones that we had in primary school. Iceland reminds me of Scotland and from the map, you can see why. There seems to be water at ever turn - although much of it is ice at the moment. 

As the house is about 10 minutes walk from the studio, I decided to venture out in the opposite direction this morning to get a feel for the extent of the village. There is a flat plain on the edge of the sea which is where I am, however the village is surrounded by hills and mountains which don't look so big, but as I walked towards them this morning, they became more intimidating, particularly as a storm approaching was visible across the fjord.

The light is very blue and as the sun isn't up until after 10am, there is a strange cold light hanging for ages before the sun creates a slight warming colour with some yellow and even gold fighting their way through. These are just from my phone as I wanted to get an idea of the terrain before having to carry lots of 'stuff'.




They were only slightly less blue than this is reality.

Well, alert time! I've arrived at the studio to be informed that there is a storm coming. By 4pm we need to be where we intend to stay for 2 days..... That's either the studio (with a range of sofas and hard floors... or the house, which is cosy and warm, with a lovely quilt and bed, but no TV, music, wifi or anything really. We have been advised to go home and 'enjoy' the experience of being snowed in. Apparently it's the wind that's more of a problem than the snow.

Anyway, I may not have contact for a couple of days but rest assured, will be gathering images, experiences and stories, ready for the next one. 

I did go out along the sea front a few minutes ago and nearly got blown away. managed to get some decent images I think, but I'll work on those tonight. In the meantime, here's the ones from my camera as I was getting ready to come back.






The last 2 are of the river, which is frozen solid. I desperately wanted someone to magic some ice skates out of their pocket and give them to me.... It would have been brilliant skating on this. I may ask around....

I'm going to sign off and send this just in case I'm off the net...

Wish me luck and watch this space!







3 comments:

  1. Make sure your nose is covered! Hope your supplies of fruit pastilles and pasta last out! Missing you...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blinkin eck Alsyson!... You fell in a snow hole!!!... Hazard City Iceland! Just like intrepid you to yomp off towards the sea! Take a pole with you next time to poke n feel whats in front... me being a total expert on snow-trekking and all...

    But... The AURORA BOREALIS! First-class and Champion! I feel like getting on my knees and praying just seeing the photos! Truly amazing!... and the snow - storms... What an experience in week 1. Loving the blog and WISH I WAS THERE! Bin gabbing to Steve about you (and everyone else!)... really excited for you! And now I have to make my own intrepid journey to Lidl to get some free range chicken! Massive Sheffield Love from Tom xxxxxx.

    ReplyDelete